Sinfin waste incinerator appears no closer to completion

September 27, 2018 4:30 PM

Sign at the entrance to Sinfin Lane incineratorThe long-running story of the Sinfin waste incinerator appears no closer to completion, in spite of promises from the contractors.

The incinerator project, dating back around 20 years, was supposed to be handling and cleanly disposing of much of Derby's waste by now. Yet it is already years behind schedule, and is having problems which mean it could slip even further.

And, thanks to the original contractor running into difficulties, what should have been proven, clean technology has changed and is so far not performing as expected.

Cllr Ruth Skelton said "It's a joke how long this saga has been going on. It dates back so far that our MP, Chris Williamson was involved in the site selection and policy-making that shaped these contracts, and he's been gone from the Council for years.

"It's no secret that we can't just keep putting rubbish into holes in the ground forever, or that under the last Labour council recycling rates nearly halved. We need a solution, and we were told that this incinerator offered a proven, clean way of disposing of our waste. But it's still not working and residents are concerned that it's making Derby's air pollution problem worse.

"I'm disgusted at Labour's dishonesty with the public over this though. The incinerator project has been running for around 20 years, and Labour have been in charge for the majority of that time. Labour chose the site, Labour took a great many of the decisions. They're now trying to wash their hands of the project they ran and give residents a false picture of the situation.

"This whole sorry mess needs solving, and it needs solving honestly. No more crocodile tears and fanciful suggestions to the residents from Labour. No more pretending we can stick with landfill forever from the Conservatives. Waste isn't glamorous, but it's important; let's get together and get this fixed for everyone's sake."